Did your daughter receive an engagement ring over the Christmas holidays? Perhaps she's been engaged for awhile and is now ready to take the next big step - marriage! Either way, if you have a wedding reception to arrange, here are some ideas for you to plan something unique and memorable.
Determine Your Daughter's Expectations - First things first. Find out exactly what your daughter wants for her reception. She may choose something small and intimate, or she may want an elaboration celebration. At your first meeting, determine the type of celebration she wants. If she's wanting something low-key, your living room might be the perfect place to have the wedding reception. If she wants something larger, you'll need to decide whether your home can handle a large number of people or whether you'll need to rent a banquet hall.
At Home - If you are hosting your daughter's wedding reception at home, you've got it made. Not only will you be saving money, but there will be a sweet feeling of being in a familiar place where memories have already been made.
- You'll have your hands full with everything you have to do for the reception. A really good idea is to have a professional cleaner come in to detail your house, especially the room where you'll have the event. This also might be a great time to hire a gardener to make your gardens look picture-perfect.
- Will you hold the event outside? If so, rent a party tent. Besides adding a festive look to your yard, you'll be thankful that you rented it if you have bad weather.
- Does your daughter want a casual event? If so, you probably won't have to do too much in the way of decorating. However, add to your decor by placing framed pictures of the bride and groom on tables and in your entryway. Adding floral arrangements and pretty votive candles would also be a nice touch. If you can use flowers from your own garden, that would be lovely.
- For a more formal at-home reception, go with large floral arrangements, candelabras and pictures of the bride and groom in elegant frames.
At A Banquet Hall - If your daughter has decided on an elaborate wedding reception, renting a wedding hall, like Mohawk River Country Club & Chateaux, would be a great idea. Besides actual banquet halls, many hotels and restaurants also offer banquet facilities. One benefit of using a hotel or a restaurant is that often catering can take place right at the same place.
- If you are going to decorate the facility yourself, invite friends and family members to help you do the actual decorating. Besides having extra hands to help, they may have ideas that will enhance what you have already planned. Besides, you'll have more fun!
- For a formal, seated meal, consider offering two or three different meats and sides that will complement them.
- A casual buffet meal is also a good way to serve many people. A Mexican-themed buffet or Chinese food would both be good choices.
- If you are on a budget, don't hesitate to serve just wedding cake and punch. After all, the whole point of the wedding reception is to honor the bride and groom, and you don't need anything elaborate to do that.
Don't forget to give your guests a party favor to take home with them. A boxed treat with a special message is one idea. Or, a simple chocolate kiss is another idea. Either way, a message saying something like, "Thank you for making our celebration memorable!" is very appropriate.